Julie, Jace, Natalie, Cali, Ashton, Steve, and I all flew on the same Southwest flight to St. Louis on Thursday, February 24th. We left about dinner time and arrived around midnight in a snow storm. I am so glad I wore my rain boots! Melanie flew from Dallas and met us at Heather's house the same evening. All of the traveling was because Kyra had turned eight years old a few weeks before. She was scheduled to be baptized on Saturday, February 26th. Chad's parents, Bruce and Jean Baker, drove from Wisconsin on Thursday as well. Needless to say, there was quite a group at Heather and Chad's for the weekend.
Friday we went shopping and had lunch at one of our favorite Mexican restaurants. Later that afternoon we all enjoyed walking to the neighborhood pond near Heather and Chad's home. Even though it was slushy and snowy from the previous night's storm, we enjoyed being outside and exploring. Bruce made a nice pork roast dinner later that night for everyone.
Saturday was the big baptismal day. Heather and Chad had planned out every little detail perfectly, so we all just pitched in where needed. I helped make the treat bags that would be passed out to all those that attended the baptism. Kyra had professional pics taken in her baptismal dress a few weeks before and some of those were on display in the Relief Society Room during the baptism. I talked on baptism, and Jean talked about the Holy Ghost. Chad performed both the baptism and the confirmation with both grandpas serving as witnesses for the baptism. After we took a few pictures at the church we headed home for a buffet dinner.
The first two nights we stayed at Heather and Chad's home, and then based on a promise I made to Kyra years ago, Steve and I rented a hotel room at the Drury Inn for the last two nights we were in Missouri. Kyra wanted to go swimming at an indoor swimming pool, so even though it was very cold outside we all enjoyed a nice swim in the pool and relaxing in the hot tub.
Sunday we went to church, and then Steve and I invited Kyra, Skye, and Cali over to the hotel for a slumber party. We had a lot of fun. We went swimming for a few hours, ate treats, and watched a DVD. Just when we were getting ready to go to sleep after a long day we were instructed via the intercom to seek cover in the shelter located in the garage as a tornado was supposed to touch down in Chesterfield and St. Louis. The girls were confused and a little worried, but they complied when we asked them to come quickly with us to the garage of the hotel. Luckily, we didn't have to stay more than 30 minutes as the storm blew over and the tornado never hit the ground where we were. However, it rained heavily, and the winds were supposed to be moving at 70 miles per hour. Part of the fence blew over at the hotel, and a huge tree fell over on top of a sports car owned by one of Heather's friends from the ward.
Monday morning everyone came over to the hotel from the house, and we enjoyed another swim. We ate lunch at a place called Crazy Bowls and Wraps. It was absolutely delicious and a perfect way to end our short but eventful Missouri trip before flying home to Las Vegas in time for work on Tuesday. Ugh!!!!!
2 comments:
What a special day! I'm sure Heather really appreciated all her sisters and parents making such a big effort to be there!
I can't believe everyone was able to come! How amazing :). She looked beautiful!!!
Post a Comment