Saturday, June 25, 2011

Reason Five Why I Love Hawaii; "The Aloha Spirit"

All the visitors in RS were given a lei made out of
shells as a welcome gift


The people of Hawaii make leis from beautiful
flowers of all types and in many different
colors. One way to show friendship and/or love is to
present someone with a lei. Our Polynesian friends, Adam
and Drena, gave us leis before when we were flying out
headed for LV.

The people of Hawaii are happy and easy going. It's rather
contagious. Here's Steve on Father's Day getting ready to enjoy
breakfast before heading to church. No troubles, no worries; just
"hanging loose."

When we arrived at church, I noticed all the men had leis on.
I didn't realize that it was a Hawaiian tradition to give your
husband/father a lei to wear to church on Father's Day.
I made a mental note that the next time I'm in Hawaii on
Father's Day, I will make sure Steve has a beautiful floral lei.
However,  someone tapped my shoulder during Sunday School
and gave me a lei made from nuts.  The man told me it was for my
husband so he too could have a lei on Father's Day.  The aloha
 spirit of love and friendliness is alive and well
in the Kahuku 2nd Ward.

No comments: