Deciding when I should retire seems to be occupying a lot of my time these days. I had decided at the beginning of the school year that this would be my last year. I met with a counseling service representative from PERS (Public Employees' Retirement System) a few weeks back. I received an estimate of my retirement salary and a percentage based on how many years I will have worked by the end of this school year. It appears that if I retire on August 31, 2013, I will retire with 71.864% of my present yearly income. The cap is 75%. So, if I work one more year, I will be at 74.5% which is as close as I can get to the 75% cap without going over. The dilemma is whether I should go for that extra year. It will mean $165 more a month until I am no more. Can I face another year? I wish I could look into a crystal ball and know the answer. For now, I continue to ponder. The paper work to retire is staggering. Looking at it makes me think I don't want to fill it all out. Maybe another year wouldn't be so bad.
Thursday, November 29, 2012
Should I Retire?
Deciding when I should retire seems to be occupying a lot of my time these days. I had decided at the beginning of the school year that this would be my last year. I met with a counseling service representative from PERS (Public Employees' Retirement System) a few weeks back. I received an estimate of my retirement salary and a percentage based on how many years I will have worked by the end of this school year. It appears that if I retire on August 31, 2013, I will retire with 71.864% of my present yearly income. The cap is 75%. So, if I work one more year, I will be at 74.5% which is as close as I can get to the 75% cap without going over. The dilemma is whether I should go for that extra year. It will mean $165 more a month until I am no more. Can I face another year? I wish I could look into a crystal ball and know the answer. For now, I continue to ponder. The paper work to retire is staggering. Looking at it makes me think I don't want to fill it all out. Maybe another year wouldn't be so bad.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
What a tough decision!!! I'm sure you'll find out what's right for you :)
Post a Comment