Sunday, June 10, 2012

Remembering Jace in SLC

On Friday, June 8, Julie, Natalie, Weston, Steve, and I drove to SLC so that on Saturday we could join with some of Sheldon's family in remembering Jace's third birthday at the cemetery.  We stopped in Orem and had dinner with Sheldon's sister. brother, and their families.  It was nice to see them again.  Lance reminds me of Sheldon.  It feels good to be with him and to feel of the love eminating from the Olsen family.

After dinner we drove to SLC where we stayed at the Hampton Inn.  It was located just a few blocks from Temple Square.  We didn't visit Temple Square, however.  Julie hasn't wanted to go there yet which is completely understandable.  When we woke up Saturday morning, we lounged around our hotel room.  We left around 11 a.m. and headed for the mall.  Eventually it was time to get some flowers and place our large dinner order at McDonald's.

We got to the cemetery about an hour before Sheldon's family arrived.  That gave us time to place the things that Julie had brought for our remembrance family gathering at Jace's gravesite.  Jace had wanted a pirate party, so Julie had purchased some things for that theme.  I wish Jace could have been with us to celebrate his third party, but somehow I felt that Jace knew where we were and what we were doing.  There has never been any doubt in my mind for the past three months since the accident that Sheldon and Jace are looking down from heaven at Julie and the Galler and Olsen families

Jace's favorite things from McDonald's were chicken McNuggets, fries, and orange drink.  Julie ordered plenty of those items for all of the family to eat at the cemetery.  Julie had a treasure chest pinata which Jace's cousins enjoyed.  Julie bought each family a copy of Jace's favorite book about pirates.  Des ordered green balloons.  We all wrote notes and sent them off together into the heavens.  I think Jace saw the balloons as he smiled down on us from heaven.  Although I didn't read all the messages on all the balloons, I know they were all written from each person's heart.  Heidi made chocolate cupcakes with green sprinkles.  Jace loved cupcakes.  It was an afternoon perfectly planned for a perfect little grandson.  Happy Birthday, Jace.  Grandma GG loves you.


This is "Anna's" grave.  She is buried next to Jace.
Anna was also 33 months old when she passed away
in 1907 from diptheria. It is sweet to think that
two small children, Jace and Anna, are next to each other.
Surely, they are friends in heaven by now.

Here's Jace's grave with a beautiful banner, flowers,
pinwheels, and pinata treasure chest.

The sky was blue.  Although it was a little windy,
the day was beautiful.  The weather cooperated;
no rainstorms and certainly no snow.

Jace also loved pinwheels.  Julie bought a number of them
to place on Jace's grave.  Since the wind was blowing
the pinwheels gave us quite a show.

Such sweet memories of such a sweet little boy

Julie ordered enough food to feed an army. 
Jace would have loved what his mommy ordered.

Here are Jace's cousins on the Olsen side enjoying
Jace's favorite meal. 

Natalie and Weston went with us from Las Vegas.
The Ellsworths had all been sick the week before,
so we were happy that some of their family could be with us.

Here's Hagan taking his turn trying to break open
the pinata.

I'm grateful I could be with Julie as she honored
the memory of her sweet boy.

Here's Julie with the Olsen cousins and Baby Weston
representing the Galler side of the family.

I had wanted to order Jace's favorite book, but I wasn't
sure which pirate book it was.  Thank you, Julie,
for sharing Jace's treasure with all of us.

Sheldon's mom, Carol, drove to SLC on Saturday
from Vernal to be with all of us at the cemetery.

Natalie's message is on the left and
mine is on the right. 

Natalie and I wrote on both sides of our
balloons.  It wasn't hard to come up with
what I wanted to write to my sweet grandson.

If you look hard enough, you can see the
green balloons sailing off to heaven.

Yummy cupcakes compliments of Heidi,
Sheldon's sister.


1 comment:

Amy said...

I am glad to see Julie looking so happy! She has a genuine smile on her face in these pictures.